NSF stands for Notes Storage Facility. These are basically a type of database files that keep the data in a document cell named as Notes. It possesses all the information of Lotus notes mailbox such as emails, calendar, appointments, contacts, information on design and many more tasks. Lotus Notes supports NSF file extension similar to the fact that MS excel supports XLS extension. In general, the Lotus Notes Storage is hosted by the IBM Domino Server that can be downloaded by the Notes users for relying on the database. It is also functional in offline mode and synchronizes the changes, edits and modifications made in Lotus Notes.
Deep understanding of NSF File
IBM Lotus Notes comes in the category of email clients. It can be used for the purpose of various things such as sending emails, scheduling meetings etc. It possesses the property of saving all the mailbox contents like emails, journals, events, calendars, contacts etc in .nsf file format. A separate contact file i.e. names.nsf file is available in both Domino Server and Lotus Notes email client. It is one of the most significant files present is the Lotus Notes system. IBM Notes stores the address book at the client site. It helps the users in these ways:
- IBM Lotus Notes doesn’t impose any limitations on the users for using the database.
- Any user can access the required information he wishes to get.
- Without having email ids, one can store the emails directly.
- It is easy to edit, delete, apply and insert commands on the contact list of an individual.
- One can store the information whether it is professional or personal, in an organized way.
All the Lotus Notes file extension database is stored in a Binary format and is provided with various types of encryption:
- Mail Encryption.
- Database Encryption.
- Port Encryption
- Document Encryption.
- Field Encryption.
Structure of Lotus Notes file Extension (NSF)
IBM Notes contains several file extensions which have been explained below.
- Names.nsf: It stores all the personal information of user like contacts, connections, locations etc.
- mailbox.nsf: These file extensions contain all the mailbox contents such as emails, events, tasks etc. It can also be placed by some other names such as database.nsf.
- Busytime.nsf: These folders/files include all the free time local information.
- Bookmark.nsf: In this type of file extension, files contain all the bookmarks that have been saved by the user. He/she can easily place or get the bookmarks placed.
- perweb.nsf: The files containing perweb.nsf file extension store entire information about the web browser a user uses for searching.
- Headlines.nsf: These contain entire information of database subscription.
- Internet.nsf: These files keep a track record of all the details related to newsgroup subscription.
Locations of Lotus Notes NSF file extension
The location of NSF file extensions in Windows and Mac has been mentioned below. Navigate through the path to locate them.
Mac: /Library\Application Support\Lotus Notes Data
In the above technical excerpt, I have explained the need for NSF files and how these files are supported by IBM Lotus notes .nsf file extensions and IBM Domino Server. I strongly suggest the users have a backup of the files before performing any action on these files. These NSF files are prone to corruption. So, any minor disturbance may lead to loss of data. If you are required to access the Lotus Notes file extension or .nsf files on the Outlook email client, you need to perform a conversion of NSF files to PST file format. So, In this case, we recommend employing an NSF to PST Converter for flawless conversion of NSF files. Hope it helps.