Are you seeking the perfect solution for Lotus Notes to Exchange migration? Well, do not worry and feel calm because in this article we will cover all the process of migration from Lotus Notes to Exchange. Keep reading with continuity for an easy way to Lotus Notes Migration. People are migration from Lotus Notes to Exchange probably due to change in the job, cost factor, etc. Here, in this technical guide, you will find the most authentic and genuine information about this migration process and how to do this task successfully.
Why We Are Migrating From Lotus Notes to Exchange?
IBM Lotus Notes uses NSF files to store the mailbox data such as contacts, calendars, emails, tasks, etc. This application has many multitasking features in it. But still, there is a lot of users opt to import NSF files to Exchange due to different reasons like difficult user interface and other complex operations. There are many reasons behind the conversion but we will discuss the most popular reasons behind the migration process in the following segments:
- The most major reason why users move from Lotus Domino to Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 is also the technical complexity of the IBM Notes.
- Whether the user doesn’t use Notes in the new organization in which they are switched.
- It offers less mailbox storage. So, the storage size of the email application is also one of the reasons.
- The recovery process of NSF files using the inbuilt repair tool is so difficult to carry out.
Now we are going to discuss the manual methods of migration.
Manual Ways to Migrate Lotus Notes to Exchange Migration
Now we are going to start the migration process of Lotus Notes to Exchange. So, Never Miss any line and follow us from top to bottom.
Step 1: Firstly, Download the Transport Suite
- Download the transport suite but pay some attention here, if you are using a system of 32- bit, then you need to download transporter32.msi.
- After downloading, install the suite.
- Now, the next option, which will appear on the screen asks you to choose components and install locations. Now, choose for Microsoft transporter tools there.
- After the completion of this process, a folder named “Microsoft Transporter Suite for Notes” will be generated.
Note: In the process of Migration you have to keep in mind that your GAL (Global Address List) has to be synchronized properly so that both users can see all system users from both programs.
Step 2: Secondly, Generate A Directory Connector
Now in the next step, you need to generate a directory connector. For this there are two ways to do so:
By Using Transporter Management Console
- Choose from the console tree the option of connecting under tools for Lotus Notes.
- Click the right mouse button on it and choose the option to create a directory connector.
- After all this, a directory connector wizard will open up on the screen. Then press the Next button to migrate Lotus Notes to Exchange.
- Click on create and then finish after the completion of the process.
By Using Command Shell
Lotus Notes to Exchange migration require necessities for configuring the Notes permissions. Initially, you need a default Notes administrator account or account other than this, with these following permissions:
- At least an editor approach to names.nsf file.
- The roles of user-creator and User-Modifier should be accessible.
- Also, have the right to delete documents.
Step 3: After that, Configure the Directory Connector
- Select the directory connector to export NSF to Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007.
- After that, right-click on it and select the option of properties or navigate to the Action menu and choose the option of Properties from there.
- Now, 4 tabs will be displayed in the properties window, sync to active directory tab and sync to Notes tab.
Step 4: Finally, Synchronize the Directories
- Select the synchronize option when you are setting up the directory.
- Find the option of Directory connector and right-click on it.
- Move to the action pane/context menu and then choose the option of synchronizing now.
- A synchronize directory window will emerge on the screen. Click the option of update synchronizations or full synchronization.
- Now, the update synchronization is utilized when users execute the synchronization for modified or updated options.
- Finally, select the required type of synchronization. After synchronization is done, click on the Finish button.
Drawbacks of Transporter Suit Method
- Migration of messages in bulk gives you a message of “Maximum request length exceed”. So, it’s not a convenient method to migrate in bulk.
- Since this method doesn’t support mailboxes migration. So, encrypted Mailboxes/NSF files will not get processed.
- At the time of migration, if you missed out on any attachment then this will probably lose your important files permanently.
- You are amazed to know that, this method doesn’t work for more than 1500 mailboxes so it’s a big fail.
- While performing the migration process there is always the risk of data loss. Doing any wrong migrating step might damage, corrupt and lost your data.
- As you know this is a manual method so this is a very time-consuming process.
In this technical guide, we get to know how to do Lotus Notes to Exchange Migration. Also, we have discussed all the difficulties one can face during the migration process. User migrates from Lotus Notes to MS Exchange servers because they offer simple User Interface and lost data recovery option. I hope it helps you out.